MWP Process for Taking on a Book Project
1) Author initially contacts MWP with a query letter, a pitch, a conversation, a concept, or a visit or a phone call.
Manzanita Writers Press – PO Box 215, San Andreas, CA 95249
Phone: 209-728-6117 – email: email@example.com
2) MWP may ask for a copy of the first 50 pages, or the first 3 chapters with an outline and form completed. MWP may ask for the entire manuscript. MWP may not accept the MS as offered and may require editing. Call/email/contact us for a response.
3) Initial meeting with author for book pitch and goals – phone call, Zoom call, in person, as desired.
4) Sample reading by editors after a feasibility discussion, ie first three-five chapters – Initial review of book and project –committee of editors .
5) Evaluation of content and feasibility decision on accepting project
6) Editorial committee meets and discusses aspects of project and options to offer
7) Editors decide emphasis and approach for the manuscript – ie type of publication, calendaring, project outline, potential costs, etc.
8) Contract designed with options spelled out, whether it be publishing the entire book, or other services only, such as editing, or layout design, and author support.
9) Meeting with author – editor/s meet and create a proposal on the project – contract options are presented to the author – author signs and commits to a close read and editing fee deposit up front – project and timeline TBD. Initial basic editing fee: $300, depending on the scope of the project. Then, once the book is accepted, a 50% upfront editing fee is required, with the balance due at the end of the editing timeline.
Note: Steps 1-6 should ideally occur within two weeks to a month, determined by Manzanita and author schedules
10) A general read of the entire manuscript for content with fee assigned, $300 for initial read, with commentary and global suggestions. If author and publisher agree to collaborate on the project, there will be a 50% down payment on the editing fee in order to begin the project, with a contract signed. Author and publisher sign book project contract and accept negotiated timeline and conditions.
MWP initial recommendations to author: ($300 review)
a) outlines and lists global changes and rewriting needed with schedule given to author for general rewriting – author decides on whether to proceed
b) general manuscript and textual problems that need addressing – typographical and manuscript formatting, grammar/usage, etc. – global copyediting suggestions for the author to address
If the author decides not to proceed with the publishing project with Manzanita, he/she will have received valuable suggestions to improve the manuscript. When the author accepts the project with Manzanita, the $300 fee will be applied toward the 50% down payment on the editing of the book.